Italy urged to stop mass expulsions

Amnesty International is calling on the Italian authorities to investigate urgently whether 68 people rescued at sea and then forcibly returned to Egypt within 48 hours were given the opportunity to apply for international protection.
The 68 people were on board a boat carrying 131 people in all that was intercepted on 26 October 2010 by the Italian authorities near the coast of Sicily. According to an initial statement made by senior law enforcement official those on board identified themselves as Palestinians.
The Italian authorities transferred them to Catania, Sicily, and detained all of them, including 44 children in a sports facility for more than 24 hours. The Italian authorities maintained that detention was necessary to undertake identification procedures and arrange returns.

Italy has previously returned boatloads of migrants arriving from  Libya
© AP GraphicsBank
In the evening of 27 October, the Italian authorities expelled 68 of them to Cairo, Egypt, by charter flight, claiming that they were in fact “illegal immigrants” from Egypt and not Palestinians.
Amnesty International believes that these mass expulsions appear to have taken place with no regard for the right of people to seek asylum and in breach of Italy’s obligations under international refugee and human rights law and standards.
The organization calls on the Italian authorities to clarify whether and how they identified the  individuals, determined their age and their possible protection needs, if they were informed of their right to seek asylum, and if any asylum application was lodged.
“All people rescued at sea must be given the opportunity to seek asylum and to have their claims assessed in a fair and satisfactory asylum-determination procedure,” said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for Europe and Central Asia. “There are concerns that in this case none of the individuals, included the 68 deported, was given such an opportunity.”
Organizations such as the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), the International Organization for Migration, Save the Children and the Italian Red Cross were denied access to those taken ashore, despite repeated requests.  These organizations are all members of a project funded by the Italian Government and the European Union, aiming to provide immediate assistance to anyone arriving on Sicilian shores in distress.
Amnesty International understands that this is the first time in Italy since 2005 that UNHCR has been denied access following an official request.
Nineteen members of the group were arrested in connection with the smuggling of people, while 44 were identified as minors and handed over to social services. Although those identified as minors were not summarily expelled, Amnesty International is concerned that they have been detained for more than 24 hours, without access to any specialized assistance.
“In their rush to expel them, the Italian authorities are ignoring normal procedures and international standards for the protection of refugees, and asylum-seekers” said John Dalhuisen.
“The Italian authorities must immediately put a stop to mass summary expulsions of foreign nationals.”


Related Articles

Israel: Soldiers’ Punishment for Using Boy as ‘Human Shield’ Inadequate

Two Sergeants Demoted and Given Suspended Sentences (Jerusalem) – An Israeli military court’s sentence on November 21, 2010, for two

South Carolina: End Segregation of HIV-infected Prisoners

·Justice Department Warns State About Discriminatory, Inadequate Treatment(New York) – South Carolina should stop segregating HIV-positive prisoners from the rest

UK violates rights of terror suspects with ‘unfair’ control orders

Amnesty International has accused the UK government of developing a “shadow justice system” that imposes severe restrictions on the rights

No comments

Write a comment
No Comments Yet! You can be first to comment this post!

Write a Comment